On September 24, 2010, the USF BOT and the United Faculty of Florida tentatively agreed to the last articles left open for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Within an hour or so, there will be PDF files of the last six articles. Below is a list of links to the PDF files of tentative agreements on articles in the order in which the TAs (tentative agreements) were signed:
- Article 22 (sabbaticals and professional development leave), signed March 5. This language increases the ratio of one-semester full-pay slots to eligible tenured faculty from 1/30 to 1/25.
- Articles 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30, 31, signed June 25. No change.
- Articles 14, 16, 20, and 26, signed July 2. No changes to articles 20 or 26. The language of Article 14 recognizes the start of the instructor promotion track, including the phase-in for eligibility, and Article 16 adds a clause clarifying what job abandonment consists of in the context of summer classes.
- Articles 3, 8, 9, 13, 23, and 29, signed September 24. Article 3 reduces union releases roughly by half.
- Article 8 specifies 6% base raises for promoted instructors (raises retroactive to August 9 for instructors promoted for 2010-11), doubles the flat increases on top of 9% base raises for tenured faculty and librarians, sets a $12,500 supplemental summer teaching pay cap for a three-hour course (cap to expire at the end of summer 2013), protects supplemental summer teaching appointments from ballooning class sizes, and provides flat compensation for summer supervision of theses and dissertations.
- Article 9 remains largely the same and clarifies whether nonreappointment may be grieved based on certain assignment issues.
- Article 13 remains the same as in the 2008-09 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Article 23 provides for merit-pool raises of 1.5% for 2010-11 and 2.0% for 2011-12, eligibility restricted to faculty and professional employees with at least 3.0 on the last annual evaluation, and for 1.0% in administrative discretionary increase authority for each year of the contract, sunsetting on August 6, 2013.
- Article 29 sets the length of the contract at 3 years, 2011-13, ending August 6, 2013, and setting the start of bargaining on a new contract at October 1, 2012.
This tentative agreement must be ratified by both parties to become effective.
Chapter President Sherman Dorn and statewide UFF Executive Director Ed Mitchell strongly recommend that you vote to ratify this agreement.
Voting will occur online during September 24-October 5, using the codes distributed for the prior ratification election in early September. (A picture of the envelope with that notice is at the bottom of this page.) In-unit faculty and professional employees who do not currently have those codes may request another copy be printed and sent by campus mail by completing a short form by the end of business on Tuesday, September 28, 2010.
ANY EMPLOYEE IN THE BARGAINING UNIT REPRESENTED BY UFF-USF IS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE ON RATIFICATION.
If you have questions about the tentative agreement, you can e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 813-205-6143. You can also ask questions at a designated anonymous Q&A site for the chapter.
The result of the ratification vote will be announced on the front page of this blog and through e-mail in the 24 hours following the close of the balloting.
Ratification notice envelope sample from late August/early September: